Thursday, February 20, 2014

If this market continues to ride its bullish high expect to see more and more articles such as this one.

3 Reasons To Be 100 Percent Invested in Stocks

If I get a bad 20 years, I think I'll still earn more than zero. If I get a good 20 years, I'd expect it would average 12 percent or more a year. An average annual return of somewhere between zero and 12 percent is what I expect. 
Why so broad a range? Because I have no control over what market conditions the next 20 years will deliver. All I have control over is how I invest. And I know if I kept all of my money in safe choices, it wouldn't have a chance of earning 12 percent a year, although it would earn more than zero. 
I also expect that around every eight to 12 months, my accounts will drop about 10 to 15 percent in value. Why do I expect that? That's about how often market corrections occur. In addition, I expect that a few times over the next 20 years, I might watch my account values drop by 30 to 50 percent. Like market corrections, bear markets are not rare.
DYI Comments:  When markets become overvalued expect to see more and more articles such as these with 100% invested bullish positions.  This article of course is written for mass consumption which glosses over the ups and more importantly the downs of the market.  The average saver/investor can tolerate no more than a 20% decline from peak to trough (studies have shown).  Average Joe ends up buying high and selling low by altering his asset allocation to larger amounts of stock when the market is riding high and lessens his exposure to stocks after the decline.  Average Joe becomes wrong way Charlie and ends up with sub par returns.

If this market continues to ride its bullish high expect to see more and more articles such as this one.

DYI  

No comments:

Post a Comment